Mara Patricia Hernandez is a Mexican-American visual poet, digital artist, and designer; who creates multifaceted visual poetry. In her work, she combines both digital and traditional techniques, her attention to the form of a letter or the shaping of a word places language and text at the tactile and metaphoric center of her work. Much of her visual poetry has been published and exhibited around the world. She currently lives and works in the San Francisco Bay Area.
I utilize words in motion, emphasizing in their iconic and typographical aspects, creating a poetic juxtaposition of images with text, textures, and colors. My work is based on unique associations that open a new poetic vein. Multilayered images arise, poetry texts elaborated at various visual levels.
I consider movement as a metaphor for the curiosity which is the driving force in my work. I believe that art should instigate questions and inspire through continuing conversations.
My work often engages with electronic media, in the form of interactive technology, film, and net-based art, but I also use low-tech media like performance, visual arts, installation, public art, and more. I use different media according to the most suitable ones needed to create particular projects.
• INTERSECTIONS OF VISUAL ART AND POETRY: THE RED POPPY ART HOUSE, SF CA
• A BOOK ABOUT DEATH 2009- 2010: THE EMILY HARVEY FOUNDATION, NY; QUEENS MUSEUM OF ART, NUEVA YORK; WHITE BOX GALLERY, NUEVA YORK; OTIS COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN, LOS ÁNGELES; SDSU / STEPPLING ART GALLERY, CALEXICO; EYEDRUM, ATLANTA; MUBE, SÃO PAULO, BRASIL; MOMA WALES, WALES, REINO UNIDO
• VISUAL POETRY MAILART EXHIBIT – SKYLAB GALLERY, COLUMBUS
• IMAGÉTICA, RIO DE JANEIRO, BRASIL – 2015
• MIRAGENS, MOSTRA INTERNATIONAL DE POESIA, BRASIL – 2016
• DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS — SOMARTS, SF, USA — 2016, 2018
• SOLO MUJERES — MCCLA, SF, USA — 2017
• CICLOVERSO — BICICLETA PÚBLICA MIBICI, GUADALAJARA, MX —2017
• FLUSH, A PROTEST PROJECT, SWEDISH AMERICAN HALL, SF, USA — 2018
• DAY OF THE DEAD ALTAR – MCCLA, SF, USA — 2018
SF MUNIART, San Francisco, CA, EUA 2018
CICLOVERSO, Guadalajara, JAL, Mexico 2018
CO-CURATOR AND PROGRAM MANAGER
Trazos entre la palabra y la imagen, Ciudad de México, D.F., México, 2011
Jornada de poesía visual: d’allá pa’cá, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, 2014
II Encuentro de escritores, Guadalajara, Jalisco, México, 2014
Flight of the Ancestors, Day of the Dead Exhibition, MCCLA, SF, 2018
Alula, Xerolage 59 (Xexoxial Editions, 2015, USA)
Laberintos del Sentido (Tierra Adentro, 2015, México)
Maintenant 12: A Journal of Contemporary Dada Writing and Art (Three Rooms Press, 2018, EUA).
Maintenant 11: A Journal of Contemporary Dada Writing and Art (Three Rooms Press, 2017, EUA).
the wisdom of the universes in a single string of letters (Xexoxial Editions, 2016, USA)
Maintenant 9: A Journal of Contemporary Dada Writing and Art (Three Rooms Press, 2015, EUA).
La antología Poesía Visual Mexicana: La Palabra Transfigurada (INBA / CONACULTA / Ediciones del Lirio, 2013, México)
Type Image, (Gingko Press, 2011, EUA)
Otoliths 14 y 15 (Otoliths Press, 2009, EUA)
Avantexte Press, (EUA, 2010-2012) CO-EDITOR:
the bleed 0.3: typoetics
the bleed 0.2: asemic writing
the bleed 0.1: year one